Qualifications of Bayshore Retreat and Our Staff
Bayshore Retreat is a in-patient, residential drug and alcohol treatment facility licensed by the Florida Department of Children and Families Services. Not only has Bayshore met the stringent guidelines of this department, it has also passed numerous health and safety inspections, receiving high marks in all. Our recent inspection score was 98.6.
Our 2.5 to 1 ration of staff to clients, proves CARE is number 1.
Bayshore Retreat’s staff has many years in dealing with drug and alcohol addiction and the issues that accompany it. Their experience stems from personal, some having dealt with addictions personally and/or with family members. It’s also from having worked in numerous other rehab centers and seeing what was ‘good’ and ‘not good’. The program at Bayshore Retreat combines the best elements from these experiences in a effort to provide a ‘one stop’ – ‘one to one’ program that will work for each individual. A real chance for recovery and a lesser chance of relapse in an atmosphere that’s caring and comfortable.
- Our Medical Director is Dr. Steven Donchey will do the initial physical upon admittance to Bayshore. He then evaluates the blood test results and works with staff and clients to ensure they receive the appropriate medical treatment to promote physical and mental wellness. He is on-call 24 hours a day to assist with any medically related questions. Dr. Donchey specializes in internal medicine which includes disease prevention, wellness, substance abuse, mental health, emergency internal medicine and critical care. In addition, to being a sports and fitness enthusiast, he has 23 years of practicing medicine from orthopedic surgery, to fracture care, to sports medicine injuries, to arthritis and hospice care.
- Our lead Licensed Mental Health Counselor is Michelle Underwood who, in addition to specializing in Addiction Therapy, also prepares local military families for the rigors of deployment as well as trauma victims. Michelle has her Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology, is a seasoned Public Speaker/Educator, Family Systems Educated and Experienced, rated highest in compliance for the performance matrix of Addiction Therapists in VISN 16, worked in hospital based in-patient treatment center for dually diagnosed adults and adolescents… her credits and qualifications go on and on. Clients and their families receive her unrivaled experience and knowledge, compassion and understanding as part of their all inclusive program at Bayshore Retreat.
- Our residential Licensed Mental Health Counselor is Stephanie Aldridge. Stephanie is on site daily for individual and group counseling, as well as dealing with issues or questions that might arise unexpectedly. Her experience and insight helps clients discover the underlying issues that contributed to the addiction, as well as those that will be faced when the client leaves. Stephanie has her Master’s degree in Clinical Counseling as well as an Education Specialist degree from Florida State University. In addition to being licensed by the state of Florida, she is nationally certified by the National Board of Certified Counselors and is an Anger Management Specialist. Her experience is broad and includes work in a residential treatment facilities for patients with eating disorders, substance abuse for adolescents, trauma, domestic violence and abuse issues. Stephanie’s positive regard for others, strong relationship skills and insight contribute to the superb standard of care at Bayshore.
- An important part of our counseling involves “Life Skills” which is taught by Ryan Bell. Not only does Ryan have a Bachelors degree in social work, but seven years working in the drug addiction field, and the personal experience of addiction. Ryan guides clients through eight different elements of our Life Skills program such as Self Evaluation and Discovery, Relapse Prevention, Anger Management, Relationships, Money & Career Management, Communications, Self Awareness and Irrational Thinking. Additionally his personal experience of dealing with everyday challenges and coping issues while fighting addiction are keys to help our clients prepare for their own return to the mainstream of life after Bayshore.
- Group facilitators offer different approaches. Bayshore doesn’t preach or push – unlike some rehabs that only offer a Christian based or AA program we have several counselors who facilitate our group sessions… each with extensive counseling background: Murphy has an AA philosophy, Shanta is a LMHC, Gary has a spiritual guidance, Michelle is a LMHC and of course Ryan and Stephanie bring their day to day interaction and awareness into Group discussions.
- Teri Hefner is our Registered Dietitian and Yoga Instructor. She assists in developing proper eating habits, as well as teaching yoga for all skill levels weekly.
- A weekly deep tissue Massage is eagerly awaited by each client. While this may seem like a luxury, it actually just another way of helping the body recover from the damages of drugs and/or alcohol addiction.
- Our Sauna Specialist and Chief of Operations is Megan Deane. With over 9 years experience in residential addiction treatment, she and Terri work together to provide a program to improve the body which in turn promotes a new physical and mental outlook.
- Our Chef is Jeff Jenks, also called “Bonzo”. From cooking at one of the top restaurants in the country to being a tour caterer for a multitude of major bands, his menus are diverse, varied and always from fresh, not frozen food. His motto is “the freezer is for ice cream and popcicles”.
- Additionally our Assistant Chef, Mike Mulholland from national chain restaurant background, completes the meal planning and preparation. Mike’s daily trips to the supermarket ensure clients receive the freshest meals that meet their dietary needs and desires.
- In addition, we have Amanda, Alicia, Autumn, Ashley, Gloria, and Chase who support our clients with 24-7-365 care from dealing with insurance claims to helping with sauna, to excursions, and other activities daily.